Three months ago – just after we won our campaign to stop England’s forests being sold off – 38 Degrees members decided what we should campaign on next. There was a clear top priority: save the NHS from the dangerous plans being forced through by health minister Andrew Lansley.
Back in February, Lansley thought his plans would be law by now. But they’re not, because we’ve worked together to make sure that didn’t happen. Lansley was forced to delay his plans and launch a “listening exercise”.
Here are some of the highlights of the campaign so far:
- 420,000 signatures on the biggest-ever petition about the NHS
- local 38 Degrees members have delivered the petition to key decision makers, including Nick Clegg and the Department of Health
- 38 Degrees members have organised over 100 petition deliveries to MPs around the country, with more to come!
- thousands of us chipped in to raise £90,000 for newspaper adverts which were seen by over five million people, showing health minister Andrew Lansley with his fingers in his ears.
- tens of thousands of us have emailed our MPs, telling them to oppose the dangerous NHS plans.